Monday, February 22, 2016

Names

Having spent my life with an unusual name, I had a lady once tell me that “aren’t you too old for that kind of name?” I feel that I can speak with confidence on this topic. I get it, your precious is special, unique and one of a kind so why not bestow on him/her a name that fits such a child. But here is the catch…..ALL CHILDREN ARE SPECIAL!.. not just yours. Sure be unique, be creative, but keep in mind that your child will carry your cute idea for life. As a teenager just trying to fit in, as a young adult trying to get a job, and as an elderly person. Do you really want to your child to spend his/her life spelling their name to every teacher, government office, potential employer or even friend? And if you decide to go with a ‘normal” name…please please please by all that is holy spell it the regular way. There is nothing worse than an Ashley explaining to everyone “No, It’s A..c…h…l…i” As a teacher I would love having a class list that I could actually pronounce without input from the parents. Now I love my name and actually get upset when I hear other people with it ( I know it’s weird) but just until the past few years it was that unique. My name also has a family story with it so I am possessive about it a bit. As a child though, I was not happy with having to explain it constantly and there was also the added bonus of explaining that , yes historically it was a boys name, but I am girl!.. I wanted nothing more to blend in sometimes with the Karens, Lisas and others of my generation. As a parent I believe that I did well with three of the 4. Sorry #2, that poor child’s name has now become the new unisex name and he gets to say “I’m a boy” to the form filler-outers, online community. The other three have names that are familiar but not common and so far none of them have had kids with the same name in their classes. Success! _20140919_122406 I would like to say thanks to the people I have known with the following names: Latodjala, Yavonka, Persephone, Orphelia, Airley, Yamileth, Hercules, Arrow, Rocky, Myrcial, Drago, Jazmyn, Barkkley, Kanissa, Aryian, Browley, Arasmus, Chioki, Cevan, Enzo, Nayada, Chia, Atlas,Viala, Jericho, Forbes, Ivory,Kaniyaa, Persuval, and Zephyr! Good luck.

No comments: