Monday, February 22, 2016

And this happened......

So my son had a truck. And the truck has a story that must be told. 7 years ago a close friend of mine lost her husband in a tragic accident. After the dust settled, we bought his old ’95 Dodge Ram, red and silver for my oldest son’s first vehicle. It was a great truck for a high school country boy to have. This truck was previously used by a welder and was now being used by a football playing, fishing, hiking and mudding teenager. Yeah it got awful gas mileage and the some of the items on the instrument panel were iffy and temperamental, but it got him from point A to point B with no problems . As parents we were not concerned if he got scrapes and scratches on it. It was proudly decorated with the school parking sticker, the school emblem and a sticker of a football helmet with his number on it. Son graduates, goes to college and passes truck to younger brother. Younger brother loved the truck the minute older brother drove it home and he quickly made it his own. He redid the head liner in camo, (of course), got seat covers in black with camo trim, added lights and an American flag sticker, saved his money got a camper top, added more stickers for the areas he hiked, places he visited and things he liked. This son is going to college in Auto, so tinkering with this truck was just the thing. He enjoyed changing the oil, and replacing all the little things that broke and even some that didn’t. Now the truck was also used to haul his drum set, his bicycle, things for his friends and it was his camping spot when the ground was too wet or uncomfortable. This truck was his second home. It carried, always, his tools, his school books, his camping gear and fishing poles, all his mementos from his girlfriend and who knows what else. He jokingly said that everyone has new nicer cars but him , but who do they call when they want something done ….him and big red. One day at work I received a call from an unknown number and for that reason almost didn’t answer it. When I did I heard this son’s voice thin and shaky, “mom the truck caught on fire.’ Not understanding the complete damage I asked where was his phone, who’s was he using to call me? At this point he broke and said it’s gone, it was in the truck. This phone is the guy who stopped to help me. After getting that he was okay and not far from home, I knew his older brother would be by there shortly on his home from class. We arranged the details and I went back to my class. About an hour later I got these pictures and several more from my oldest son’s phone camera and I went to my knees.
That is the truck…or what is left ! and my child walked away from that unharmed. Not a hair burned. He said the flames broke through the fire wall and were up the driver’s side door when he got off the road and was struggling with his seat belt. The fire department was a mile down the road and could see the flames before they got the call. When he said its gone he wasn’t kidding. I don’t know what else was happening that day, but a miracle happened here. And I am grateful and will praise God for his protective blessing.

No comments: